The Sanskrit word for peace, it is repeated three times in the closing chant at the end of my Ashtanga yoga practice. Peace. Peace. Peace. I’m not religious, but if I had to describe my weekly moment of spiritual awakening that would be it. Shanti. Shanti. Shanti.
Peace with the past: Letting go of any and all anger towards other people, most of all myself for allowing me to get up to 311 lbs. Peace with the present: Embracing where I am in life right now and loving what I have, not stressing over what I don’t. Peace for the future: Knowing this is a lifelong journey and the best is still yet to come.
Most friends and co-workers are aware of my plan to get a third tattoo to celebrate losing 100 plans. Several months ago I talked about using a quote from the Buddha, but as time went on that changed and whenever I was asked what I was planning on getting I always told them I was keeping it secret for now.
Now I can tell you that I have decided to take the word “shanti” on as my third tattoo and it is going on my back. I’m telling you this because I officially earned it this morning. Oh yes, kids this is the one we’ve all been waiting for:
- My dress size has gone from a size 28 to a size 16
- My shoe size has gone from 9 to 7 1/2 (this one totally threw me)
- Bra size has dropped from 44 to 38
- I have lost 32% of my starting weight
- I am 2/3 of the way to goal
- Goal is a mere 48 lbs away
- I have taken up running and completed two 5Ks
- I practice yoga
- I like shopping now. Shopping suuuuuucks when you’re in a 28. That black skirt above was purchased on Saturday and believe me, I never before in my life owned a pencil skirt before and now I am totally in love with it.
- I don’t hate the heat as much as I used to
- I can feel bones in my body
- I am in desperate need of a new driver’s license
- I weigh less than I did when I graduated high-school