dvt, injury

the saga continues ……

Over the past few months, starting with Anklegate back in May (fucking May, people) and now Clotocalypse (a name my friend Carla came up with that I like so much I’m stealing), people keep commending me on my good attitude. Which, quite frankly, is a little disturbing because I am as pessimistic as they come.

In this case, though, I just keep telling people “It is what it is” because, well, it is what it is. There is literally nothing I can do to change anything, I can only follow the directives of the doctors and nurses assigned to my care.

That doesn’t mean it doesn’t get frustrating at times and on Monday I reached one of those frustrating moments in the Coumadin Clinic when my INR levels had dropped.

As I mentioned in my last post, I’m still taking the Lovenox shots while I wait for my INR levels to get to the right place. This requires pretty much every other day blood testing and on Friday I finally hit the magic number. I need two good tests in a row and they are closed on the weekends so it had to wait until Monday. So, I go in Monday after work and ….. my numbers are down. By, like, a lot.

I just, I can’t. The nurse asks if I ate a whole bunch of leafy green vegetables over the weekend. Um. No. Because I’m not an idiot. You all keep repeating how important it is to not eat those, at least not right now, because they can counteract the Coumadin. You really think I’m gonna go all krazy on kale when I’m in one blood test result away from ditching the shots? Yeah, that makes perfect sense.


The only thing that keeps changing is the dosage because it’s all MATH! and SCIENCE! and some bizarro formula they use so each and every single time I have a different amount of meds to take and I just have to kind of trust them but it’s so frustrating when the number goes up and then down and I’m not doing anything differently.

Yesterday I call my vascular surgeon (who I heart so much by the way) which was the plan we set up after my follow-up with him last week. Based on my numbers being nowhere near where they should be three weeks post hospital, they decided to switch me to one of the newer blood thinner medications. This means 1) no more self-injections and 2) no more needing to get my blood tested every other day! YAY!

So that’s where I am today, which is a much better place than I was on Monday. In other news, I had a follow-up with the bone doc who wants me to say in the air cast for another four weeks (sigh) but hopefully when I go back in late September he’ll be able to give me the okay and clear me for exercise. FINALLY. Ohmygosh. My anxiety has been outta control as of late and I have no doubt it’s partly from not having a good way of exerting all the pent up nervous energy.

My appointment is the Thursday before the Akron Half Marathon. Trust me, the irony of this is not lost on this runner.

Love from the ashes,
Lady Lazarus

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s